Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday Made It: A Name Study

I'm linking up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for another Monday Made It!!!  This is really a Monday Re-Made It.  I have been doing this activity for the past 6 years, but I inherited all the worksheets from my dear sweet teaching partner Lisa, who we lost to cancer a little over a year ago.  This year I finally had the heart to remake the worksheets and add my own flair.


It has been a tradition at our school for the fourth grade students to study their names and complete their very first writing assignment during the first full week of school.  I absolutely LOVE this project!  We begin the lesson by sharing with our groups one thing we like about our names and one thing we don't.


I then read the story Chrysanthemum and we take some time to share about similar experience we may have had with our names.  I have them complete a worksheet brainstorming what they might already know about their name and where it came from.  You can get a copy here.


Their homework that night (the very first homework assignment of the school year) is to interview their parents about their name.  You can also snag a copy of this one here.  When they return with their homework I give them some time to find the meaning of their name using books and this website.  They love this part!


Then we spend a ton of time talking about writing.  I share a sample paragraph I wrote about my name and ask the students to think about how their name stories could be put into a paragraph.  We carefully read the story and I have them write certain sentences in their heads as we read.  We call this Brain Writing....you'll never believe this, but they really like writing in their heads much more than they do on paper :)  We all begin with the same sentence to start our paragraphs "My name is....." I really think having this first sentence down on paper helps so many of them move forward in writing.  Sometimes that first sentence is the hardest one to write.

Of course we do a second draft because we ALWAYS edit!  After they edit with a friend they write their final draft!!!  How cute is this one?!?!


Our final activity is to brainstorm a list of adjectives that describe us, nouns that have special meaning to us, and names of individuals who are important in our lives.  Here's the worksheet I use for brainstorming!
 
We then use that brainstorming page to create a word cloud on Tagxedo.


If you haven't used Tagxedo, you just have to.  It's so simple, and you can totally customize your cloud....which fourth graders love....this is, by far, their very favorite part of this entire project.  Another bonus....they make a super cute bulletin board!!!  I had hoped to have a super cute picture of our bulletin board, but it's not ready yet....going in this afternoon to put it together!

Other books I use during our week long name study:











Hope some of you can use this back to school activity and I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear how your students like it!!!

16 comments:

  1. Wow! I am very impressed. Loads of great name ideas, books, and resources! I can't wait to check some of these books out!

    Liliris
    Fourth Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liliris! It's a great unit and one I look forward to teaching every year!!

      Lisa

      Delete
  2. Love these book selections. Most of them are new to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad my post was helpful and always thrilled when I can introduce new books!!1

      Lisa

      Delete
  3. I love EVERYTHING about this blog post! The Name Jar is one of my favorite books and I love Kevin Henkes as well.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm thrilled to know others like the idea....and I too just love The Name Jar!

      Lisa

      Delete
  4. ohhhhhh, I love Crysanthemum but the Name Jar looks like a really cute book. I am going to try some of these with my 4th and 5th grade ELLs. We always start by learning/reviewing how to write a 5 sentence paragraph. This "study" lends itself to making that assignment lots more fun, especially with the word clouds, which we have never done.
    cindi
    diaryofagratefulteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi, it is a great review for writing paragraphs, and it is a wonderful chance for me to quickly asses writing skills at the beginning of the school year. Those word clouds were a BIG success and a fav for all my little kiddos!

      Lisa

      Delete
  5. Just found your blog through the Linky Party. I love your ideas! Just became a follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Kelly and thrilled to have you as a new follower!!

      Lisa

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness!! I read the Notebook How-To: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook by Aimee Buckner this summer and this activity is on my to-do list!! She also uses Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. I read his books all the time to my daughter because her name is Lilly:) You have saved me so much time with these worksheets and I can't wait to use them in conjunction with starting our writer's notebook! I have to check out that word cloud activity too. Thank you, thank you!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, that comment just made my day! So happy to know someone can use these activities....I don't know what I would do if other teachers didn't share.

      Happy short school week!!
      Lisa

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so thrilled that everyone is enjoying them!!

      Lisa

      Delete
  8. I love it all! I pinned everything to remember it!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. click for source Thanks - Enjoyed this post, click here for more can you make it so I receive an email every time you write a new post? click here for more info click for more

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!