Saturday, September 15, 2012

10 things I learned this week....

I really look forward to this post every week.  It helps me to focus on the positive and if I can't find one....at least I can laugh at the little disaster that sometimes happen.

10: Positively Positive always amazes me with a post that is exactly what I needed to hear at exactly the right time.  Check out the one today.







9. Blogging has changed my world. 
I absolutely love to blog, and miss it when I don't have time.  More than writing blog posts, I love reading them!  I get the best ideas from the blogs I follow and I've even won some pretty sweet little prizes!  Look at the awesome gift I entered to win today....seriously, aren't they the most amazing little guys!!!


8. If I have one really great lesson in a week I'm feeling great. 
This week is was a writing project I got from Third Grade Thinkers.  It's going to be the perfect little fall creation to hang outside out room, and my students worked their little tails off on them.  Can't wait to finish them next week!  P.S.  I'll be blogging in more detail about them later!

7. When my kids are struggling in school it kills me!
My kiddos are lucky in the fact that school as always been easy for them.  They have never really had to struggle when it comes to their education.  That may sound like a blessing, but in fact it's not.  When bright kids glide through life with no bumps in the road they are paralyzed when they do hit a snag.  This has happened to Jacob a couple of times.  He really struggled with an Algebra II assignment this week and he completely flipped out.  He just can't handle not knowing what to do.  Thank heavens he has the drive to be successful.....it's buried REALLY deep and we only see it a couple of times a year, but it's there :)  He stayed up late, Googled some sample problems and figured it out.....he was able to get a B on the assignment.  I'm so proud of him for not giving up!!!

6. My daughter is changing before my eyes every day and it's killing me.
I know I've blogged about Katie growing up tons of times, but the night before last I peeked in her room in the middle of the night and there was this person laying in her bed that just couldn't possibly be here.  She was as long as the twin sized bed and resembled an average teenager....how could my sweet little girlie be this big and this grown up....once  again, Momma's not ready!

5. Forcing yourself to do all of your normal Saturday chores on Friday night is a win win!!!
That's what I did last night and I couldn't be happier this morning.  Now I have the entire day to work on 2 weeks worth of lesson plans, buy groceries, and take a nice LOOOONG evening walk with ol' Charlie!

4. Having your students completely and totally engaged in a lesson to the point that they are hanging on every word is the most wonderful feeling in the world!
That's exactly what happened during our 9/11 lesson Tuesday.  I was a little surprised at how many of my students had never head about it.  I know they weren't born yet, but my oldest was only 4 months old at the time and she has a pretty healthy knowledge of the events of that day.  Anyway, they loved the lesson, have been fighting over the books I put around the classroom all week, and learned a ton from the interviews they conducted with their parents about that day.  Nothing like the feeling of a successful lesson!

3. Sweet Autumn Clematis makes me smile!
The vine of Sweet Autumn Clematis in our backyard spans one entire side of the fence and is full of white flowers that smell amazing.  In a week or two the Monarch butterflies will be covering the flowers and the contrast in colors is just amazing.  I don't really love all the work my little garden requires in the summer, but it sure is beautiful!


This is not my fence, but my clematis looks just as beautiful!

2. It's amazing what a couple of hours of sleep can do!
Most mornings I'm up at 5:30 a.m. and while I typically get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.....I am completely wiped out by Friday!  On the weekends I sleep until I wake up naturally which is around 7:30. What an incredible difference this makes!

1. I love a change of seasons!
Okay, I sorta already knew this one, but I am always surprised by how excited I become for a new season.  I'm so excited that fall is on it's way, the temperatures have cooled, I can break out my autumn clothes, and fill my house with warm fall colors....I love this time of year!




4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this list! The shower pic is my fav.

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, and loved reading your post! Fall is my absolute favorite season so I completely agree with you about the change in seasons! It just brings about something new. I love it!

    Btw - You might already have one, but I am hosting a giveaway on my blog. You could win a free personal laminator! Come check it out if you get the chance! :)

    Heather
    Sensational Seconds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather and so glad you liked the post. I am lucky enough to have my own laminator already! Good luck with your give away!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!