Sunday, November 4, 2012

Getting out of a rut....

It's not easy changing your ways, getting out of a rut, reorganizing your habits....nope not easy at all!  I feel like it's time to make some changes in the way I use my time.  I know it's not going to be easy, and I anticipate a few slip ups (okay, probably several slip ups), but I'm willing to give it my best effort and see what can happen from a few simple changes!


I spend far too much time on the Internet reading blogs, checking out Facebook posts, scanning my email, and searching Pinterest endlessly for things I will file away and forget about or never get to.  I've decided there's just got to be a better way to spend my time.  I make a billion excuses as to why I don't have time to read, meditate, exercise, craft, and relax.  I know, it's blatantly obvious to everyone that I could give up a little time on the computer and make room for all of these other things.  Why did it take me so long to see it....I'm guessing because change is hard and I was avoiding the work.


I'm hoping to make one small change every 3 weeks.  The first one will be sorta huge, but the others will be small and not too difficult.  I'm hoping by making these changes I will feel more relaxed, happier about my choices, and more content.  My first change is a doozy.....I want to completely revamp my morning routine!  I am a creature of habit and have a great fear of change, so this one is going to be rough!  I really enjoy a cup of coffee, the silence of the house, and some time reading all my favorite blogs, pinning unnecessary things on Pinterest, and checking in on all my FB peeps.  But, is this really necessary.....is this really the best way to spend my quiet precious hour alone in the morning?  I just know I'm not doing what's best for me with that hour.....I'm wasting it by reading about what the rest of the world is doing.


Starting Tuesday (let's face it....nobody starts on Monday), I plan to use my hour for exercise, yoga, and/or meditation.  I'm working on a plan that will include 6 days of the week, and still allow my coffee and online time on Sundays.  I'm really eager to see what a difference it has made in three weeks!  I know Thanksgiving falls within my first three weeks, but I'm just going to be realistic about it.  We are traveling for the holiday and I know I'm not going to workout every morning of our vacation....I will see how those three days go and just be happy with any change I make during that time.

I'm also working on a school change that I will add when I reach my three week mark.....can't tell you what it is yet because I'm not 100% certain myself, but I know it's got to do with time management!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I complain about not having time for things that are important to me but I waste so much time on the very same stuff. It's so easy to get sucked into mindless activities to avoid what we really need to do.

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!